The Genetics and Biotechnology Lab conducts conducts genetics and epigenetics research on the following topics, using a combination of wet-lab and bioinformatic approaches:
- Genetics & epigenetics of heterosis (hybrid vigour) in plants.
- Parent-of-origin effects (e.g. genomic imprinting) on gene expression & phenotypes (Arabidopsis thaliana).
- Genome dosage effects on gene expression & phenotypes (Arabidopsis thaliana).
- Novel genetics for abiotic stress tolerance in plants (Arabidopsis thaliana).
- Maize vitamin A biofortification breeding (with IITA).
- Biofuel & biorefinery biotechnology (Camelina sativa, diatoms).
- Climate smart agriculture innovations
Our research group also has ongoing research activities in science policy-analysis, communication and outreach on biotechnology-related issues impacting on economic and social development, particularly relating to Ireland, EU and to poverty reduction in developing countries.